Sunday, March 11, 2012

Tropical "Times" Multiplication Fun

Wow, what a busy year this has been! I am growing so many ways as a teacher and I have been teaching for 14 years already. This is my fourth year in 2nd grade and absolutely loving it. The challenging part this year has been meeting the kids where they are by setting up flexible groups that change as their needs change. The only block of time that I have where the kids aren't in specific skill groups is Whole Group Reading at 2nd Grade Level (50 minutes). For all my other blocks, I have groups that are working on the skills they need to be working on. One thing I can say is "Thank You Lord for TPT and Pinterest!" I am forever laminating and cutting and sorting and preparing and monitoring and rotating center activities, but I know it is worth it. I have even started making some of my own games and activities as I see the need for them. Maybe they may fill a need in your classroom, too :) I am beginning to post my files here, but also have a store at TPT. My newest creation is a multiplication game called "Tropical Times" which is a beginner "I Have Who Has" multiplication game that only includes multiplication facts of 1's, 2's, 5's, and 10's, the facts my second graders come to me knowing from first grade, most of them anyway. To help them understand the concept of multiplication, I have included on each card the array of that math fact. Visual representation, eye appeal, seeing the repeated addition, and a game format helps all my students be successful. The game cards include all the math facts for the above four groups, except 0. For struggling students, I start them out with an easier card. For my students that need to be challenged, I give them several cards and make sure they are some of the more difficult facts. I also included a recording sheet to help all the students stay on task as the game is played, reinforcing all the facts in the game, not just the one or two cards they had. My kids LOVE "I Have Who Has" in any content area. Not only does it build the skill, but it builds their confidence in speaking out in a group. Here is a link to my "Tropical Times" multiplication activity at TPT.



Thanks for stopping by. Hope everyone has a great upcoming week.


No comments:

Post a Comment